Saturday, March 21, 2009

It's been awhile

Wow, really been awhile since I posted. Just goes to show you what a hectic school year can do to a teacher.

Things are good and the prospect of spring arriving soon is making my spirits lift. I've found myself obsessed with Ken Ken puzzles (currently mastering the medium level) and taking city buses. For most of the winter, I was taking cabs. Listen, I know you're all groaning and you have every right to. I was basically throwing money away. But I was deliciously warm and that's all that mattered in that moment. Anyway, I've realized not only was I throwing money away, but I was missing the absurdity that is the New York City bus system. Anything goes on those buses.

My favorite example to date?

I arrive at the bus at approximately 6:45AM one morning and the bus is sitting with all the doors open and the wheelchair ramp extended. I walk toward the bus and I'm told by a passerby that the bus driver is waiting for a "violent passenger" to leave the bus. I resign to wait for the next one. As minutes grow longer, I see the man starting to come off the bus. As he comes off, I realize he is, indeed, in a wheelchair and missing both legs. He rolls off the bus and the bus driver says, "Okay, we can get back in." As we start to move toward the bus, the guy in the wheelchair floors it back on the bus. We played this game one more time before the next bus came. It was a pretty eventful morning.


This evening, Adam and I watched "W." which made me uncomfortable...and now I'm trying not to watch him play Street Fighter.

Tomorrow, I will go to a dog fashion show, which quite possibly might be the best event I ever attend.

And with that, goodbye.

No comments: