Saturday, February 16, 2008

on lotteries; carts

So I was reading on Gothamist today about this school teacher who won a lottery to get an Upper East Side studio for $14,000. Which is ridiculous. So, good for him..but what makes me nervous is...

Where was this guy teaching that paid him SO little he had to WIN A LOTTERY for an apartment? Seriously, is my future teaching career looking that bleak? Should I be signing up for this lottery?


In other news, I'm having an issue with my grocery cart that I bring to the market. Initially, I bought it so I could fit in the with the old Italian ladies who lived near my prior apartment in Brooklyn. But because I lived in a third floor walkup, I never wanted to carry it up the stairs.

Now, I live on the ground floor, which is awesome, but I have something to say about these carts. While useful, are they made out of garbage? Seriously, within one use, I managed to break the little clip that holds it together, I've ripped the handle, and I'm feeling self conscious about it in my super swank new neighborhood.

Plus, let's be honest, if you're going to have one, you can only shop at big grocery stores, no delis or independent groceries are in your future. Navigating through those tiny aisles requires a separate driver's license.

So that's what's happening on the Upper East Side today....still no capture on the mouse. I'm starting to accept my new roommate. Is that a compromise NYC demands?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i will gladly come over and kill it for you. however, if i kill it, 1. i get to cook it and 2. i must be reimbursed for my travel expenses.

jessica jacobs said...

You are welcome to cook it. Funny story, in my apartment in brooklyn, we had a mouse and we had been trying to catch it for weeks and it never happened.

the last day we were there, the movers took out the last of our things and adam and i were saying goodbye to the apartment.

Just as we were walking out, adam picked up emaline's dog bed, and a dead mouse fell out of it.

Seems like Emaline has a life none of us ever imagined.

Anonymous said...

This will work. I caught nine mice at once with it once.

Get a 5 gallon bucket (or something similar, a cardboard box might work though mice can chew through cardboard). Unfold a wire hanger. Punch a hole in the center of a pop or beer can. Thread the can over the hanger, making sure that it spins fairly freely.

Now put the hanger wire across the top of your 5 gallon bucket. Make a ramp with a gradual incline using a pice of cardboard or a strip of wood, etc. Line the ramp up with the edge of the hanger wire.

Now, add some TINY dots of peanut butter up the ramp. Think "grain of sand." Then, carefully balance a huge glop of peanut butter on the top of the pop/beer can on the wire. The idea is that if there is the slightest disturbance to the can, it will spin around, dropping the mouse who was carefully balancing on it into the bucket, which is hopefully steep enough for it not to jump out. They can jump about a foot to a foot and a half vertically.

Then enjoy or crush your new pet.

jessica jacobs said...

wow I thought I was being creative with my tactics of mouse catching.


YOU WIN.